Friends, this has been a long time coming. It is time for the mighty CODE. alliance--the most talked-about alliance in EVE--to get its own in-game logo.
I know what some of you are thinking: "Didn't we already design an alliance logo, like, a long time ago?" Aye. Many, many moons ago, our artists created a bunch of logos, a shareholder vote was held, and a logo was submitted to CCP for review.
Then CCP stopped approving new alliance logos.
For various reasons related to copyright law, CCP put a temporary freeze on logo submissions. For over a year, EVE players clamored for their alliance logos. At long last, the logos are back.
"Why don't you just re-submit the previous design?"
The logo requirements have changed significantly. Among other things, the resolution has been bumped up (if you'll pardon the pun) to 512x512. So we've got to submit a new logo design. This means that all you New Order artists have a chance to become a part of EVE history. Anyone and everyone can come up with a logo and the best one will be sent to CCP. Another shareholder vote may be necessary; we'll see.
You'll have free reign to come up with a design, but the basis of the design will be the same as before.
Namely, my face.
Yes, it's the face that changed highsec. When people see a picture of my face, it reminds them of my face, which reminds them of me, which reminds them of hope and all good things.
Here's a link to the full-resolution portrait of my face. Now do with it what you will. And no, all you rebels and skeptics out there, that is not an invitation for you to be disgusting. Be a Gallant for once.
For CCP's new requirements, you can read the dev blog on the new alliance logo requirements or the EVE-O thread on alliance logos. You can also view the list of alliances with approved logos.
Submitting a logo to me for New Order review is easy: Simply upload it to Imgur and EVEmail me the link.
The winner will be celebrated on MinerBumping, or if we receive many submissions, we'll have a shareholder vote. Artists should feel free to work in teams or send in multiple submissions, if they like.
Here are CCP's "Submission Technical Requirements:"
- Logos must be submitted in 512x512 resolution.
- Formats accepted are 4 channel .PNG or .TGA with three color channels and one alpha (transparency) channel.
- DO NOT use premultiplied alpha.
If you don't know what all the channel/alpha stuff means, don't worry about it. Make a 512x512 image and if it finds favor, we'll have someone work out the details.
Because CCP is free to reject any logo it doesn't like, consider the art requirements below. The art department may not be as strict as the rules suggest, but keep them in mind. If the New Order community loves a logo and it gets rejected because it doesn't fit with the proper EVE "theme" or "colors", we'll need back-ups.
Design & Theme:
- Alliance logos should be designed so that they look and feel like they belong within the futuristic, dark and dystopian EVE universe.
- Logos with themes like warfare, corporations, science and space have a higher chance of approval.
- Reference to historical themes or imagery should be subtle. A well designed and modified version of a historical object that is designed to fit in the EVE Universe will in most case have a higher chance of approval than the definite interpretation of it.
- Many concept and ideas from earth have evolved or been forgotten in the EVE Universe. Remember this when designing your logo.
- Common everyday motives/objects like mobile phones, modern guns, modern vehicles that fit poorly within the genre should be avoided.
- Cartoon images have a lower chance of approval, but if they are well produced and follow all the other requirements, then they will more likely be approved.
- Simple flat and abstract designs fit best in the EVE setting and have a higher chance of approval. They are also more recognizable, easier to read from the distance and work better when scaled down.
- Try to use classic, modern or futuristic fonts. Fonts like Papyrus, Lucida Handwriting and Brush Script don't fit in the EVE universe.
- Use of Comic Sans will result in liberal application of spaceship violence.
- Avoid using Photoshop filters like Lens Flare, Emboss, Blur and other such filters.
- Textures should be avoided in your logo submissions.
- Colors should be chosen within the color range used in the EVE universe. That means colors should generally not be too saturated or bright or they will look like they belong in a different color space than the ship and its surroundings.
- Try to keep color harmony in mind. Try to use analogous colors and not too many complimentary colors together.
- Punch colors/complimentary colors: sometimes a single color can be a little brighter or more saturated to make the image "pop" or look more interesting.
There you have it. There's no particular time limit for sending in entries. After a time, I'll post potential logos on a MinerBumping post and then maybe set a deadline for any additional submissions. Again, make a 512x512 image based on my face, upload it to Imgur, and EVEmail me the link.
Good luck! And remember, highsec is counting on you.